RE: [gothic-l] Re: blótlundr coganate

Alfta alfta at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Fri Nov 29 18:46:54 UTC 2002

Greetings all!

I wanted to drop a quick note to say thanks to everyone that replied to
my query.  It was much appreciated and very helpful.

regards,

- Alfta
Northvegr: The Northern Way
http://www.northvegr.org <http://www.northvegr.org/>

-----Original Message-----
From: Francisc Czobor [mailto:fericzobor at yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 2:31 AM
To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [gothic-l] Re: blótlundr coganate

Hello!

Etymologically speaking, the cognate of the first half of the
compound, blót-, is the attested Gothic verb blótan "to adore",
whence the noun blótinassus "adoration, worship". For the second
part, lundr "grove", the Gothic cognate should be probably *lunds,
but it is not attested in the extant Gothic texts.
But, semantically speaking, it is possible that what the Norse people
called "blótlundr" was called "alhs" by the Goths.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Alfta" <alfta at w...> wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a Gothic cognate for
the Old
> Norse "blótlundr" – used to mean a sacred grove.  Turville-Petre
says
> (quoting from chapter 12 of Myth and Religion of the North – quote
> included below) that "alhs" may be related to words meaning "holy
>  grove."  Does anyone have any ideas on this?
>
> regards,
>
> - Alfta
> Northvegr: The Northern Way
> http://www.northvegr.org < http://www.northvegr.org/>
>

> "It is noteworthy that words used in Germanic languages for `place
of
> worship' or `temple' often had the meaning `grove' as well. The
O.H.G.
> harug is rendered in Latin as fanum, lucus, nemus, and the
corresponding
> O.E. hearg, commonly used for `temple' or `idol', also had the
meaning
> `grove'. The O.E. hearu and words related to it alternate between
such
> meanings as `forest, holy grove, temple'. The Gothic alhs (temple)
is
> said also to be related to words which mean `holy grove'. (2)"

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2677558.4057087.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1705
297328:HM/A=1327985/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870024;7586687;x
?http://www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank
email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

Buy Posters and Prints @ Art.com with state-of-the-art Custom Framing!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/eB6_FD/h3AFAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM