[gothic-l] Greutung, Reidgotland

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Sat Nov 30 03:41:12 UTC 2002

Lets make it easier for you by dearticulating your
contentions. Take the first one.
--- åÇÏÒÏ× ÷ÌÁÄÉÍÉÒ <vegorov at ipiran.ru> wrote:
Goths of III-IV centuries, more
> particularly to tribes that conquered the Bospor
> Kingdom in the middle of the III century AD.

*****GK: There certainly was an invasion of the
Bosporan Kingdom by Goths and their allies at that
time, but I would not call it a conquest. The invasion
led to an internal revolution in which the Iulii
Tiberii dynasts lost their power and were replaced for
a time by "low people" (as these were later
described). The new rulers of the Bosporus
collaborated with the Goths and provided them with
ships with which to transport their warbands across
and along the Black Sea. But there is no record of
Goths actually ruling the Bosporus. And after the
Roman victories of the 270's, the old dynasts
re=established themselves in the Bosporus (as coinage
etc. attests), and we hear no more of the Goths as
dominant in any way. The "Tetraxites" are a distinct
issue. As are the Goths who later settled in the
southern Crimea east of the borders of the Chersones
state. There were certainly no massive settlements of
Goths in the Crimea during the 3rd and 4th centuries,
and even Jordanes does not include the Bosporan
Kingdom in his inflated "Empire of Hermanaric". So
exactly where do your Gothic "Rau?s" come in??*****

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Shop for Posters and Prints @ Art.com with state-of-the-art Custom Framing!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/lAE0qB/adBFAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM