[gothic-l] Greutung, Reidgotland

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Sat Nov 30 05:21:31 UTC 2002

--- åÇÏÒÏ× ÷ÌÁÄÉÍÉÒ <vegorov at ipiran.ru> wrote:
Reidgotaland, which
> I partially identify with the Hermanaricus' Empire
> of Jordan. And now I'm searching something common
> for "rau?s" ("hrau?s"?), "Greutung" ("Hraudung"?),
> and "Reidgotaland" ("Hraud-Gotaland"?). This is the
> reason of my initial questions.

*****I agree that Reidgotaland may sometimes refer to
the land of the Eastern Goths. But it (and Reidgoths)
is a "movable" term which means different places and
peoples at different times. Thus in Widsith it's the
Vistula area, and elsewhere it's Gotland, or Jutland.
O. V. Friesen and K. Malone have interpreted Reid
(Hreid) as meaning "nest". Thus the "Reid" Goths are
the "nest" Goths. I.e. those who stayed behind when
the rest moved on. I fail to see how this has any
relationship to Rus'. The Goth Jordanes does not use
the word Reidgoths/Reidgotaland, never mind "Rau?s" or
"Rus". There were so few Goths left there that he does
not even list them in his enumeration of peoples
presently (551) occupying the old territories of
Hermanaric's "rich fields". As for Greutung and
Terving, these appellatives seem to have gone out of
use in the 5th century. Now the term "Rus" (Rhos),
totally unknown previously, first appeared in the West
in 839 AD. Its carriers were identified as Swedes
(Sueones). No Gothic connection was claimed or
discovered by the investigators appointed by Emperor
Lewis to find out the identity of these "Rhos"
ambassadors. And the ambassadors, in turn, made no
effort to present themselves as the scions of the
Golden Scythian. I'm afraid that you're chasing will
o' the wisps.===

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Buy Posters and Prints @ Art.com with state-of-the-art Custom Framing!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/eB6_FD/h3AFAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM