[gothic-l] Old Turkish Runic Alphabet - what are your thoughts?

konrad_oddsson konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 7 08:31:32 UTC 2002

Some interesting pages about an old Turkish runic alphabet:

http://www.antalya-ws.com/futhark/index.htm
http://www.turcman.btinternet.co.uk/futhark-alphabet.htm

Any thoughts or responses to the Turkish connection? Did the migrant
Goths adopt the alphabet and bring it back to their Scandinavian
homeland? Did Gothic merchants from the homeland pick it up while
trading and mingling with their kin in the south of Europe? Consider
the dating of the oldest complete inscribed futhark (found on the
island of Gotland and dating from around 100-200AD according to the
usual estimates I have seen). The Christian scholars have argued
various theories for years connecting the old alphabet to Latin,
Greek, Etruscan, Phonecian, Hebrew and so forth. There seems to be a
clear bias in favour of peoples identified with the Jewish-Christian
tradition. Finding the origins of the Scandinavian futhark in a
cultural exchange between Turks and non-Jewish-Christian Goths would
be hard for the Abrahamic purists in Scandinavia to swallow. I would
be interested to know your thoughts.

Regards,
Konrad.

Sell a Home with Ease!