[gothic-l] Re: Old Turkish Runic Alphabet - what are your thoughts?

wagnijo sohela at TISCALI.DK
Thu Oct 10 06:47:49 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., Sahin Ahmet <ahmetsahinn at y...> wrote:

> Dear George,
> I shall read the germanic list archieves as you suggest.
> Giving extreme examples like mars and polinezya does not quite
explain why such a mobile people like huns can never be in
scandinavia even for a temporary period. The fact that science so far
did not show so, does not necessarily implicate non presence.
Scandinavia is not so far from the hungarian plains as hungarian
plains from the altai mountains. As fast moving people huns may not
have left too much evidence for their presence and as nomads they did
not have architectural skills to leave behind.But surely they had a
script of their own.
> george knysh wrote:

While there is no way of ruling out that a Hunnic raiding/scouting
group reached Jutland it seems extremely improbable that they would
have reached Scandinavia proper - their culture was most likely
heavily seafaring challenged so they would need considerable time to
move cavalry forces over seas, not even the local seafaring was geared
to move large cavalry forces.

But this is not the worst problem. The older Futhark come into use in
the 1. or 2. century AD at the latest so it predates the Huns.
The development of the younger Futhark from the older Futhark can be
followed in the inscriptions and the first inscriptions with
a partly younger Futhark is the Eggja-stone dated 650 and the Ribe
skull dated 700 centuries after the Huns.

Another problem is the fact that all longer inscriptions can be read
in germanic even if the interpretation of a few is uncertain.
If one was to put Turkish forward as a probable alternative he would
have to put present readings and interpretations of a lot more than
3 inscriptions and I dont even know how good these readings are.

Finally you ought to take a little time comparing the futhark with
the turkish runes, the latin and the greek alfabets and se where the
similarities are.

Cheers
Soren Larsen

Sell a Home with Ease!