[gothic-l] Re: Old Turkish Runic Alphabet - what are your thoughts?

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 10 10:05:12 UTC 2002

--- Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at swipnet.se> wrote:
> We can see from the archaeological material that
> Gotland has trade
> relations with the other side of the Ural back to
> Bronze age.

*****GK: And the existence of trade routes going
beyond the Urals from the West is also well attested
in written sources (r.g. Herodotus' gold mines there).
But it is generally believed that the proto-Turks
lived as yet too far in the east for very meaningful
contacts to develop before Hunnic times.*****

> I found this on the web:
> "At the height of their power the Huns absorbed a
> number of different
> racial strains in their armies and assimilated the
> characteristics of
> the populations of their environment, so that in
> Europe they
> gradually lost their distinct Asian character; but
> even in their
> pre-European period they were highly variable in
> their physical
> characteristics, and of no easily determined ethnic
> or linguistic
> identity. All accounts, however, agree in describing
> them as an
> aggressive nomadic people of great vigor and
> comparatively low
> cultural achievement, who had developed considerable
> skill in the
> techniques of warfare, particularly in military
> horsemanship.
> Before the beginning of their recorded European
> history, a tribe,
> possibly related to the Huns, was known in western
> China as the
> Xiongnu  (Hsiung-nu), during the Earlier Han Dynasty
> (206 BC-AD 8).
> Their power in the East was weakened during the
> following century,
> and eventually they separated into two distinct
> camps, one of which,
> amounting to about 50,000 families, went southward,
> while most of the
> remainder, after attempting to maintain themselves
> on the Caspian
> steppes, went west and northwest in search of new
> homes. Of those who
> went northwest, a large number settled for a time on
> the banks of the
> Volga River. In the second half of the 4th century
> AD, under a leader
> called Balamir (flourished 4th century AD), or
> Balamber, they
> advanced into the territories of the Alans, a
> powerful people
> dwelling between the Volga and the Don rivers, and
> in a battle fought
> on the banks of the Don routed the army of the
> Alans. "
>
> Do we know anything about this?

*****GK: Maenchen-Helfen and Pritsak have conclusively
demonstrated that although dome Hunnic leaders (and
later Bulgar leaders also)bore Iranic names (evidence
of cultural contacts with such groups) the extant
words of the Hunnic language are definitely Turkic.
The Huns of the West are not known to have utilized a
Runic script of their own.****

http://faith.yahoo.com

Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/MVfIAA/wWMplB/TM