[gothic-l] Re: Turkish Runes/Etruscan Runes and Skandza-merchants

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Oct 10 13:29:05 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., george knysh <gknysh at y...> wrote:

> --- faltin2001 <dirk at s...> wrote:
> >
> > There is a recent discussion with one of the leading
> > experts on
> > Gothic history over on the Germanic list. From this
> > you can learn
> > that the Gauts had no migrant cousins in form of
> > East Germanic Goths
> > in the south.
>
> *****GK:By all means have a look at this discussion.
> From which you will learn nothing of the kind, except
> that the above happens to be the reiterated but not
> conclusively proved opinion of some of the
> participants, including Dr. Faltin.******

that would be me, but much more importantly, the relevant arguments
were put forward by Prof. A. Schwarcs, who is a leading expert on the
subject.  By reading his argumentation, you can indeed learn what I
said you could.

>  Also, a casual reading of some of the
> > standard works on
> > Gothic history may help you to get a clearer view on
> > the difference
> > between North Germanic Gauts and East Germanic
> > Goths. (e.g. P.
> > Heather, H. Wolfram, W. Pohl etc. )
>

> ******GK: Given the issues raised in the above
> mentioned Germanic list disussion it is abundantly
> clear that these standard works are in need of some
> revision.

My impression is that the discussion mentioned above did not in the
least show that such a revision is necessary.

> And have a look at the recent study by A.
> Kaliff.******

To get a balanced view it is imperative to read H. Wolfram, P.
Heather, W. Pohl, V. Bierbrauer, R. Hachmann, etc.

Sell a Home for Top $
http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/MVfIAA/wWMplB/TM