[gothic-l] Re: Turkish Runes/Etruscan Runes and Skandza-merchants

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 10 14:06:15 UTC 2002

--- faltin2001 <dirk at smra.co.uk> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., george knysh <gknysh at y...>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- faltin2001 <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > >
> > > There is a recent discussion with one of the
> leading
> > > experts on
> > > Gothic history over on the Germanic list. From
> this
> > > you can learn
> > > that the Gauts had no migrant cousins in form of
> > > East Germanic Goths
> > > in the south.
> >
> > (GK:)By all means have a look at this
> discussion.
> > From which you will learn nothing of the kind,
> except
> > that the above happens to be the reiterated but
> not
> > conclusively proved opinion of some of the
> > participants, including Dr. Faltin.******
>

>(DF) that would be me,

******GK: As Inspector Clouseau once said in the
Hollywood comedy (:=)). Yes indeed. I know of no other
Dr Faltin on the Germanic list (the same one who noted
there yesterday that the Gothic list was being taken
over by "trolls and weirdos").*****

 but much more importantly, the
> relevant arguments
> were put forward by Prof. A. Schwarcs, who is a
> leading expert on the
> subject.

*****GK: Dr Faltin had dropped out of the discussion
earlier, while Andreas Schwarcz and I  agreed to
disagree.*****

  By reading his argumentation, you can
> indeed learn what I
> said you could.

*****GK: Only in the weak sense of the term, viz., "be
informed of someone's opinion on a subject". Certainly
not in the strong sense viz., "receive definitive
knowledge on an issue".*****

> >  Also, a casual reading of some of the
> > > standard works on
> > > Gothic history may help you to get a clearer
> view on
> > > the difference
> > > between North Germanic Gauts and East Germanic
> > > Goths. (e.g. P.
> > > Heather, H. Wolfram, W. Pohl etc. )
> >

> > (GK:) Given the issues raised in the above
> > mentioned Germanic list disussion it is abundantly
> > clear that these standard works are in need of
> some
> > revision.
>

> My impression is that the discussion mentioned above
> did not in the
> least show that such a revision is necessary.

*****GK: Yes indeed. Everyone is quite aware of your
impression. Not everyone, to say the least, is in
agreement with it.****

> >(GK) And have a look at the recent study by A.
> > Kaliff.******
>
> To get a balanced view it is imperative to read H.
> Wolfram, P.
> Heather, W. Pohl, V. Bierbrauer, R. Hachmann, etc.

******GK: To get a balanced view it is imperative to
know the opinions of as many experts as possible, and
to be able to think independently on the basis of the
information and arguments which they provide.*****

http://faith.yahoo.com

Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/MVfIAA/wWMplB/TM