[gothic-l] Questions about Matthew 5:21, 5:23 and 5:33

konrad_oddsson konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 31 06:59:51 UTC 2002

Matthew 5:21 reads:

Háusidéduþ þatei qiþan ist þáim "airizam" ni maúrþrjáis, iþ saei
maúrþreiþ skula waírþiþ stauái.

The dative form "airizam" does not occur in my dictionary. Do any of
you know what the nominitive form of this word is? Is there only an
adjectival form extant? Is it "ái" or "aí"? I understand the word
from the context, but wonder what its primary meaning is.

Matthew 5:23 reads:

Jabái nu baíráis "aibr" þein du hunslastada jah jáinar gamuneis
þatei bróþar þeins habáiþ hva bi þuk.

The word "aibr" also does not occur in my dictionary. It´s clearly
an accus. sg. neut. and means something like "offering", but what is
its primary dictionary meaning and declension? Is it "ái" or "aí"?

Also, what about "kindu" in Matthew 5:26. It´s an accus. sg. masc.,
but does not occur in my dictionary. "airizam" also occurs in
Matthew 5:33, but in the same case and construct: "þáim airizam".

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Konrad.

Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/jd3IAA/wWMplB/TM