[gothic-l] Questions about Matthew 5:21, 5:23 and 5:33

Grsartor at AOL.COM Grsartor at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 31 17:20:23 UTC 2002

Hailai allai, þishun Konrad.

About the three Gothic words:

Airizam is the easiest to deal with. It is the dative plural of an unattested
nominative airiza, an adjective meaning earlier or older. Being a
comparative, it is always declined weak, which is why the dative plural is
not airizaim. The editorial accent on the initial sound is put on the "a".
The word is related to the "ear" of the English word early, but the only
other form of the adjective found in Gothic is the genitive plural airizane,
which occurs twice in Luke. Two other related forms are the adverbs "air",
meaning early, and "airis", meaning earlier.

Aibr is more obscure, and some have maintained that it should be read from
the manuscript as tibr or as taibr. However that may be, it translates the
Greek "doron", and in its context means "offering".

The last of the three words was kintu, which is the accusative of kintus, a
strong masculine noun presumably declined like sunus, though actually a
loanword from Latin.

Gerry T.

The original question was as follows:

Matthew 5:21 reads:

Háusidéduþ þatei qiþan ist þáim "airizam" ni maúrþrjáis, iþ saei
maúrþreiþ skula waírþiþ stauái.

The dative form "airizam" does not occur in my dictionary. Do any of
you know what the nominitive form of this word is? Is there only an
adjectival form extant? Is it "ái" or "aí"? I understand the word
from the context, but wonder what its primary meaning is.

Matthew 5:23 reads:

Jabái nu baíráis "aibr" þein du hunslastada jah jáinar gamuneis
þatei bróþar þeins habáiþ hva bi þuk.

The word "aibr" also does not occur in my dictionary. It´s clearly
an accus. sg. neut. and means something like "offering", but what is
its primary dictionary meaning and declension? Is it "ái" or "aí"?

Also, what about "kindu" in Matthew 5:26. It´s an accus. sg. masc.,
but does not occur in my dictionary. "airizam" also occurs in
Matthew 5:33, but in the same case and construct: "þáim airizam".

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Konrad.

Looking for a more powerful website? Try GeoCities for $8.95 per month.
Register your domain name (http://your-name.com). More storage! No ads!
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info
http://us.click.yahoo.com/auyVXB/KJoEAA/jd3IAA/wWMplB/TM