[gothic-l] Questions about Matthew 5:21, 5:23 and 5:33

M. Carver me at MATTHEWCARVER.COM
Thu Oct 31 18:59:29 UTC 2002

Hails!
I am at the local library using the internet!
Good thing I brought Koebler and Wright and Streitberg,
this library doesn't have much to speak of, let alone in Gothic.

Hope this helps:

konrad_oddsson wrote:

> Matthew 5:21 reads:
>
> Háusidédu? ?atei qi?an ist ?áim "airizam" ni maúr?rjáis, i? saei
> maúr?rei? skula waír?i? stauái.
>
> The dative form "airizam" does not occur in my dictionary. Do any of
> you know what the nominitive form of this word is? Is there only an
> adjectival form extant? Is it "ái" or "aí"? I understand the word
> from the context, but wonder what its primary meaning is.

the extant form is airizam, which would mean n. sg. airiza* (adj. comp. = weak Masc. (n)) pl. airizans* is from
airis "previous, earlier", related to our word 'ere'. It means ancestors, ancients, Germ. "Vorfahren", for the Greek
"arkhaioi", Latin "antiqui", "priores" and literally could be read as "those who were before". In full marking, it
has no acute mark, so "ai", i.e. prolonged 'e', or the e in Bett, but longer.

> The word "aibr" also does not occur in my dictionary. It´s clearly
> an accus. sg. neut. and means something like "offering", but what is
> its primary dictionary meaning and declension? Is it "ái" or "aí"?

Koebler believes this to be a scribal error for another word, he conjectures 'tibr'*, with the meaning indeed of
sacrificial gift or oblation, Greek 'dwron', Latin 'munus', German 'Opfer'. As such it is developed from IE
*di'pro-, *di'pera|- > Gmc. *tibram" st. neut. > Go. tibr* neuter a-class (strong).

        sg.    pl.
n.    tibr    tibra
a.    tibr    tibra
g.    tibris    tibre
d.    tibra    tibram

> Also, what about "kindu" in Matthew 5:26. It´s an accus. sg. masc.,
> but does not occur in my dictionary. "airizam" also occurs in

Koebler suggests 'kintus'*, "cent, penny", a masc. u-class noun probably borrowed from Lat. 'centenionalis',
'centum' though meaning Greek "kodrante|" Lat. "quadrans.

Cheers,
Matthew

Sell a Home for Top $
http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/jd3IAA/wWMplB/TM