[gothic-l] Saúrts/Surtr in phonological darkness or light?

konrad_oddsson konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 31 07:51:11 UTC 2002

This message is for Troel, Bertil and Einar, who were previously
discussing the name "Surtr" in connection with Gothic, and for
anyone else with an interest in this topic. I find forms such
as "Swartus" or "Swartw-" to be unlikely for the simple reason that
Gothic phonology tends to have "aú" (ON."o") before "r". Whereas
Norse shows both primitive "u" a "o" in positions before "r", fourth
century Gothic shows "aú"(compare N."þeir urðu", N."hann er orðinn",
N."urt" for Gothic "waúrts", N."orð" for Gothic "waúrd", "at yrkja"
and "hann orti" for forms of Gothic "waúrkjan"). On the basis of
this I am inclined to regard the form "Saúrts" as more likely for
Gothic. Also, a simple adjectival form like "black/dark" would
probably be confusing to even native speakers of a language -
sentences like "Black is coming soon" would be vague. Compare also
the fact that the name is "Surtr" in Norse, while the adjective
"svartr" is so common as to be in daily use in Scandinavian tongues
today. "Saúrts" would be declined: N. Saúrts, A. Saúrt, D. Saúrta,
G. Saúrtis. Compare also that the Norse verb for to "grow black/dark
is "sortna", again showing that Norse can have "o" (Gothic aú) as
well as "u" in positions where we would expect only "aú" before "r"
in fourth century Gothic.

I would like to know your thoughts and responses to "Saúrts" as the
Gothic name for the firey enemy of the divine ones.

Regards,
Konrad.

Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/jd3IAA/wWMplB/TM