[gothic-l] Re: Pronounciation

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Oct 31 09:41:30 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "ravichaudhary2000" <Ravi9 at h...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> >

> > One point perhaps, on coins, so-called Antonianiae and Aurei of
> > emperor Tacitus (not to be confused with the historian) the name
of
> > the Goths is spelled 'VICTORIAE COTTHI'. I have two of these
> > Antoniniae with full silver-wash, i.e. in the highest possible
> > condition, yet the name of the Goths is definitely spelled with
> > a 'C'. It could of course mean that this was a fashion of the
time,
> > yet on coins of Claudius II, Quintillius and Aurelianus the name
of
> > the Goths is spelled with a clear and unmistakeable 'G',
> > i.e. 'VICTORIAE GOTHIC'. At any rate, is it possible that the
> writing
> > of the name Goths with 'C' and 'TT' reflected some sort of
> > pronounciation at the time?
> >
> > Dirk
>

> Is this an isolated example ?
>
>  and
>
> how do you go from Cotti to Goth or viceversa ?

Hi Ravi,

the fact that Cotti refers to Gothi on Tacitus' coins is undisputed.
Firstly, the inscription Victoriae Cotti refers to victories over
people called Cotti. The ony victories that the elderly Tacitus
achieved in his short reign were over the Goths. I think he was even
awarded the title of Gothicus. Finally, if I remember correctly
contemporary sources stated that the emperor celebrated his victories
over the Goths with this coin series. Hence, 'Victoriae Cotti' is the
same as the Victoriae Gothic on the coins of his imidiate predessors.

cheers,
Dirk

> This may be unrelated, but
>
> The classical greeks, wrote of SandraCott-us, and also SasiCott-us,
> these are identified , mostly, with indian names - ChandraGupta and
> SasiGupta., which appear to sanskritized versions of Chandra-gut.
>
> Thus Gupta( the G as in Greek)  is also derived in eralier times
from
> Gut,( G as in German ), though Gut which also means a 'group'( G as
> in Greek). also exists.
>
> I could not help note the similarity
>
> Input appreciated
>
> Ravi