[gothic-l] Re: Pronounciation

M. Carver me at MATTHEWCARVER.COM
Thu Oct 31 19:11:31 UTC 2002

Hails!

In Roman engraving and writing from early times C has been used for G. Originally, there was no G, for which C
stood. K was lost or something and C came to represent both C and G. Eventually by adding a stroke to C they made
the letter G. I think that's how it goes. Anyway, it was common to use C, for instance Gaius was simply written C.
even in later times. I don't know whether this practice was still in use at the time of the Victoriae Gotthi
inscription, but it seems likely. I only remember this from Latin class and don't have any books to quote from right
now.

Cheers,
-Matthew

faltin2001 wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at y..., "ravichaudhary2000" <Ravi9 at h...> wrote:
> > --- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > >

> > > One point perhaps, on coins, so-called Antonianiae and Aurei of
> > > emperor Tacitus (not to be confused with the historian) the name
> of
> > > the Goths is spelled 'VICTORIAE COTTHI'. I have two of these
> > > Antoniniae with full silver-wash, i.e. in the highest possible
> > > condition, yet the name of the Goths is definitely spelled with
> > > a 'C'. It could of course mean that this was a fashion of the
> time,
> > > yet on coins of Claudius II, Quintillius and Aurelianus the name
> of
> > > the Goths is spelled with a clear and unmistakeable 'G',
> > > i.e. 'VICTORIAE GOTHIC'. At any rate, is it possible that the
> > writing
> > > of the name Goths with 'C' and 'TT' reflected some sort of
> > > pronounciation at the time?
> > >
> > > Dirk
> >

> > Is this an isolated example ?
> >
> >  and
> >
> > how do you go from Cotti to Goth or viceversa ?
>
> Hi Ravi,
>
> the fact that Cotti refers to Gothi on Tacitus' coins is undisputed.
> Firstly, the inscription Victoriae Cotti refers to victories over
> people called Cotti. The ony victories that the elderly Tacitus
> achieved in his short reign were over the Goths. I think he was even
> awarded the title of Gothicus. Finally, if I remember correctly
> contemporary sources stated that the emperor celebrated his victories
> over the Goths with this coin series. Hence, 'Victoriae Cotti' is the
> same as the Victoriae Gothic on the coins of his imidiate predessors.
>
> cheers,
> Dirk
>

> > This may be unrelated, but
> >
> > The classical greeks, wrote of SandraCott-us, and also SasiCott-us,
> > these are identified , mostly, with indian names - ChandraGupta and
> > SasiGupta., which appear to sanskritized versions of Chandra-gut.
> >
> > Thus Gupta( the G as in Greek)  is also derived in eralier times
> from
> > Gut,( G as in German ), though Gut which also means a 'group'( G as
> > in Greek). also exists.
> >
> > I could not help note the similarity
> >
> > Input appreciated
> >
> > Ravi

Looking for a more powerful website? Try GeoCities for $8.95 per month.
Register your domain name (http://your-name.com). More storage! No ads!
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info
http://us.click.yahoo.com/auyVXB/KJoEAA/jd3IAA/wWMplB/TM