[gothic-l] Re: Continued Review of _Odin in Azov_

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Sep 11 14:15:27 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:

> Thor Heyerdahl - Per Lilliestroem, Jakten pa Odin -
> Pa sporet av var fortid, Oslo, Norway, J.M. Stenersens Forlag, 2001.
> 320 pages.
>
> Per Lilliestrom: På 200-tallet var gepidene en del av den
opprinnelige
> gotiske stammen som dannet en egen fraksjon og dro vestover. De
gikk
> inn i historien som visigotere eller vestgotere. Pa 300-tallet
> under kong Ermanrik, nadde ostrogoterne den stoerste utbrdelse
> av sitt herredoemme, og som haerfoerer er Ermanrik blitt
sammenlignet
> med Alexander den store. Men da hunerne i ar 375 kom stormende
> pa hesteryggen fra oest, ble han sveket av noen av sine heruliske
> undersatter, som gikk over til fienden. Etter a ha lidd nederlag
mot hunerne,
> forsoekte Ermanrik a hevne seg pa en av de svikefulle heruliske
> hoevdingene. Men da han ikke klarte a fa fatt pa denne hoevdingen,
> hevnet han seg ved a la hoevdingens hustru, Sunilda, slites i
stykker mellom
> to hester.  Noen historikere mener at han begikk rituelt selvmord,
andre
> tror at denne ostrogoternes stoerste haerfoerer doede i en grotesk
> blodhevnkamp med herulernes kongeklan, rosomonene, som Sunilda
> tilhoerte. Den grufulle og tragiske skjebnen til Sunilda, eller
Svanhilde
> som hun ogsa ble kalt, ble et populaert motiv i den germanske saga-
> litteraturen, ikke minst pa Island, der temaet er tatt opp i
Jormundreks-sagaen
> og ogsa i to av eddadiktene.
>
> Jordanes regarded the Gepidi as a Gothic people and am not aware of
any
> researchers who have another opinion. Personally I am a supporter
of the
> Gepidi being treated on this list as Goths, and it would be
interesting to know
> opinions on this matter.

This raises a wider and important question. What did it mean or
entail to be a Goth? Was Gothic a religion, which Gepids (Gepidae)
and other tribes could join, thus justifying the identification of
Gepids with Goths? Clearly at the time of Jordanes and for several
centuries before him being Gothic had no religious conotiation. The
Goths were Arian Christians, being Gothic was a purely political
term. That Gepids and Goths cannot have shared much of a common
religious pre-Christian tradition is borne out be the fact that the
Gepids did not share the Gothic practice of burying their dead
without weapons. For the Goths this remained a defining element of
their identity from their beginings in the Wielbark culture right to
Italy and Gaul. Yet, Gepidic warriors went to their graves heavily
armed.

So if Gepids were not Goths in a religious sense, is there evidence
that they regarded themselves as identical (i.e. Gepids being Goths)
in a political sense. We certainly have no evidence that Gepids
called themselves Goths at occations. In fact, Gepids and Goths
seemed to have had a hostile attitude towards each other for much of
their known history. As we know, there has not been just one Gothic
tribe, but several groups and several ethnogenesis. Thus, the Goths
at the Black Sea were the product of a new ethnogenesis, combining
several ethnic groups including non-Germanic groups. In the Balkan
again, new Gothic groups formed, now combining people like Tracians,
Dacian, Getae and others. Yet, while those groups which regarded
themselves as Goths seemed to have maintained some sort of common
link, the Gepids were consistently regarded as separate and mostly
hostile polity. In this sense it it difficult to argue that Gepids
are Goths or a Gothic people.

Yet, Jordanes called the Gepids a Gothic people. What does that mean?
Should that mean that the Gepids emerged out of the Goths? Possibly,
but other authors call the Goths a Skythian people (as opposed to
Germanic people). Would this then imply that the Goths are a Sythian
splinter group? No, the term Gothic has increasingly superceded the
term Scythian in my view. Thus, when ancient authors categories
Gepids as Gothic people and Vandals as Gothic people (and Goths as
Skythians) they probably wanted to say that these were **eastern**
Barbarians as opposed to the Germanics.

The only way in which the Gepids may be labled a Gothic (speaking)
people in a meaningful way might be in linguistic terms. As East
Germanic people they probably spoke a language that was close or even
identical to Gothic.

Looking for a more powerful website? Try GeoCities for $8.95 per month.
Register your domain name (http://your-name.com). More storage! No ads!
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aHOo4D/KJoEAA/MVfIAA/wWMplB/TM