[gothic-l] Re: Continued Review of _Odin in Azov_

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Sep 12 08:33:44 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Heinrich Sevin has expressed the case for the Gepids
> being Goths well in his book _Die Gebiden_:

I read Sevin's book. It is old (1950s or 60s) and portrays many
aspects that have long been superceded by new research especially
with regards to the origin of the Goths.

<snipped the bit that is based on Sevin's outdated introduction>

> Personally I think Per Lilliestrom is correct when
> depicting the Gepids in the third century AD as
> of Gothic stock.

What does of 'Gothic stock' mean? Gothic is not a biological or
genetic characteristic, but a political term. There is no Gothic DNA.
There were likely Roman provincials, Sarmatians, Tracians, Dacians,
etc. who became Goths. The Gepids originated from the same Iron Age
culture as the Goths and their ancestors may have been part of the
earliest Goths, the Gutones. Yet, it makes no historical sense to say
that Gepids are a Gothic people in the 5th or 4th century.

> This supports the argument that the Gepids, at least
> before they were subjugated by the Huns, could be discussed
> on this list, as has been the Eruli, as a Gothic people.

Any tribe that was directly involved with the Goths can be discussed
on this list if the context relates to the Goths directly.

Dirk

> Yet, Jordanes called the Gepids a Gothic people.
>
> The only way in which the Gepids may be labled a Gothic (speaking)
> people in a meaningful way might be in linguistic terms. As East
> Germanic people they probably spoke a language that was close or
even
> identical to Gothic.

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/wWMplB/TM