[gothic-l] Re: Continued Review of _Odin in Azov_

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 12 11:45:02 UTC 2002

--- faltin2001 <dirk at smra.co.uk> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman"
> <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> > Heinrich Sevin has expressed the case for the
> Gepids
> > being Goths well in his book _Die Gebiden_:
> >

> I read Sevin's book. It is old (1950s or 60s) and
> portrays many
> aspects that have long been superceded by new
> research especially
> with regards to the origin of the Goths.
>

> <snipped the bit that is based on Sevin's outdated
> introduction>
>

> > Personally I think Per Lilliestrom is correct when
> > depicting the Gepids in the third century AD as
> > of Gothic stock.
>

> What does of 'Gothic stock' mean? Gothic is not a
> biological or
> genetic characteristic, but a political term. There
> is no Gothic DNA.
> There were likely Roman provincials, Sarmatians,
> Tracians, Dacians,
> etc. who became Goths. The Gepids originated from
> the same Iron Age
> culture as the Goths and their ancestors may have
> been part of the
> earliest Goths, the Gutones. Yet, it makes no
> historical sense to say
> that Gepids are a Gothic people in the 5th or 4th
> century.
>

> > This supports the argument that the Gepids, at
> least
> > before they were subjugated by the Huns, could be
> discussed
> > on this list, as has been the Eruli, as a Gothic
> people.

*****GK: We might wish to take our cue from the Romans
on this one. The distinction between "Goths" and
"Gepids" was already made in the 3rd century. We have
coins of Emperor Probus (276-282) with the legend
"VICTORIA GOTHICA" and at least one that I'm aware of
with the legend "VICTORIA GEPIDICA". And there are
other texts (including one pertaining to events of ca.
291) which clearly distinguish Goths and Gepids.*****

Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
http://news.yahoo.com

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now