[gothic-l] Re: New to list. Instruments

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Apr 15 10:48:13 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "spnknffork" <Spnknffork at a...> wrote:
> Hello, I was doing a search on musical instruments of the Visigoths
> and found this list, I'm very happy that I did. I'm in the Society
> for Creative Anachronisms and my area of reenacting is the era of
the
> Visigoths in Spain. I look forward to many great discussions about
> the aspects of life of the Visigoths as well as other early
Germanic
> peoples in history.
>
> Thank you,
> jen

Hi Jen,

I am not aware of finds of musical instruments asscociated with the
Visigoths of Spain. Yet, it is of course possible to look at
contemporary finds from other regions. For example, the Anglo-Saxon
grave of Sutton Hoo contained a lyre, so did the so
called 'Saengergrab' (e.g. grave of the singer') in the cemetary of
Oberflacht in South Germany. Both graves are dated to about 610AD and
are thus contemporary with the high-point of Visigothic power in
Spain. W. Menghin wrote about the Saengergrab that the grave goods of
the young warrior, including riding equipment, lance, sword in one
hand and lyre in the other might indicate that the medieval ideal of
the 'singing knight' might have had its roots in those times. Btw,
the lyre of the warrior/singer of Oberflacht had six strings. I think
it is possible to postulate that the lyre was regarded as something
of a noble instrument, used to accompany the singing or reciting of
heroic balads etc. Other instruments will likely have included
various percussion instruments and flutes.

cheers

Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/wWMplB/TM