[gothic-l] Gothic terms

iainralph iain_ralph at IPRIMUS.COM.AU
Wed Apr 23 04:05:33 UTC 2003

Sorry if this post repeats - I am new to this site and it looks like
my first post disappeared.

Anyway, introduction:  I am an engineering/management professional in
Australia with a casual interest in Late Roman History and the
interaction with the Northern Barbarians, particularly the Goths.
This interest goes back some 20 years and has involved quite a bit of
reading on the subject.

I also play board wargames and am in the process of designing a game
on the Adrianople campaign.  For the sake of authenticity, I would
like to use Gothic terminology appropriate to the era of Fritigern
and have come up with the following so far:

Thiufa       standard military unit
Frijai       Gothic Freemen
Andbahtos    retainers in the employ of the leader
Siponjos     retainers-followers
Reiks        "kinglet"  Fritigern and Alaviv's replacement
Frauja       other tribal leader

My questions are firstly to comment on the appropriateness of the
above, also to determine which of the names for retainers would most
likely apply to a troop of bodyguards and which would be better for a
detached leader?

Also, can anyone recommend an appropriate word for "hunter"?
(actually a Gothic equivalent of the German term "Jaeger" would be
most valuable).

Thanks very much in advance.

Also, I have been putting some notes together for a novel on
Fritigern, but don't look for anything in the next 15 years.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/wWMplB/TM