[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Dance?

Le Bateman LeBateman at NETZERO.NET
Mon Aug 4 00:15:27 UTC 2003

Does anyone know if the Goths had a word similar to the OE Hlaford another
of their words for Lord, or Master.
Le
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar at nordgren.se>
To: <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 7:03 PM
Subject: [gothic-l] Re: Gothic Dance?

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "hrafnsnest" <wulfsligrs at c...> wrote:
> Hails,
>   While doing some research, I came across something referred to as
> the "Gothic Dance".  The author references the "Byzantine Book of
> Ceremonies".  Can anyone be of assistance here?  Granted, the "Goths"
> mentioned were probably Varangian Guard, but what I'm looking for
> here is a discription of the dance itself.
>
> Thank you,
> Valulfr

Hi Valulfr!

The description says that they took each others hands and danced/ran
round in a circle while crying "jul, jul" and seeming very happy and
merry. It is quite evident the tradition with ringdances on Yule/Jul
is very old. They did indeed belong to the emperors guard and they
were decidedly Northmen/Scandinavians.

Best
Ingemar

You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM