[gothic-l] Gothic Dance?

Elena Alcamesi alcis at LIBERO.IT
Sun Aug 3 14:21:40 UTC 2003

The Byzantine emperor Constantine VII refers in his Book of Ceremonies to a
"Gothic Dance" performed by members of his Varangian guard, who took part
wearing animal skins and masks. You can read a description in H.P.
Ellis-Davidson, Pagan Scandinavia, New York: Frederick A. Praeger. 1967, p.
100.
Ellis-Davidson suggests that this type of costumed dance is also seen in
figures from Swedish helmet plates, scabbard ornaments, and bracteates which
depict human figures with the heads of bears or wolves, dressed in animal
skins but having human hands and feet. These figures often carry spears or
swords, and are depicted as running or dancing.

to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM