[gothic-l] Re:The Great Sacrifice

Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar@nordgren.se> ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Fri Feb 28 23:02:12 UTC 2003

-Hej Lars,

Thanks for your encouraging  mail. Yes, now I think that long files
and pictures will be a less  problem as well as breaks in
connection. I am presently not home but in Göteborg, so the new
connection must wait untill monday to be properly installed. I am
using my sons computer now. Yes, you will find a lot of things
including werewolfs and other wolfs connected with fertility. Not
at least the ylfings of the Helgikviðae. What lauk concerns the
Germans don't say Weisslauch but Knoblauch and hence your
interpretation might be possible. I would have to consult my
etymological wordbook which I have not at hand here. Good luck with
your reading and don't hesitate to mail me off line anytime you
discover something that you do not catch or if you have an opinion
of kind that may improve the text. I am all the time correcting
faults that I come across when translating it into English. I have
finished 50 pages now.

Med venlig hilsen
Ingemar

--> Hi Ingemar,
> Congratulations upon your new broadband connection, now you can
speed
> up your work  ?
> When you talk about werewolfs it made me think of the
formular 'lina
> laukaR' (linned and onion) that you can see on a bone-knife
> from 300 c. from Floeksand, Norway. I think the formular is
> considered to be a fertility inscripton, but could it be a
protection
> formular ? It is well known at least as far back as the medieval
> times that garlic was a protection against werewolves. Hmmm,
should
> perhaps then have been 'lina hvitlaukur'.
> I am currently reading your book in swedish - so maybe eventuallly
> would have found something about this ?
> Hej
> Lars

New Yahoo! Mail Plus. More flexibility. More control. More power.
Get POP access, more storage, more filters, and more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Hcb0iA/P.iFAA/46VHAA/wWMplB/TM