[gothic-l] Re: Analogy between fate of Eruli and Burgundians?

Troels Brandt <trbrandt@post9.tele.dk> trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Tue Jan 14 20:09:41 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Dirk Faltin <dirk at s...>"
<dirk at s...> wrote:
> George,
>
> lets just say that you have revised your initial argument
> of 'tens of thousands of Heruls' migrating to Thule down
> to 'a few thousand'. This was the key issue at stake, and
> your revised number is close enough to my own initial
> estimate. So lets leave it at this.
>
> Dirk

Hi Dirk

I think it is interesting to read your purpose afterwards, but it is
always a problem to condense the conclusion of a counterpart in a
discussion. Without having any intention to continue the discussion I
can add, that if I should accept the conclusion I would prefer to
quote all the conclusion of George referred to several times by you:

> *****GK (MSG 6912):
> After further discussion the numbers at the
> start were reduced to ca. 20,000, with the further
> assumption that they diminished as the trek proceeded,
> so that only a few thousand* may actually have settled
> "next to the Gauts", including many of "the royal
> blood".

* Explained later by GK (MSG 6913):
> ... Some stayed with the Varni, some stayed
> with the Dani, and there was probably further
> dispersal. But a very significant "core" did
> make it next to the Gauts.*****

The discussion of other people eventually joining the trekk is left
out of this conclusion due to lack of sources.

Troels