[gothic-l] Re: Analogy between fate of Eruli and Burgundians?

Dr. Dirk Faltin <dirk@smra.co.uk> dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Jan 17 08:33:13 UTC 2003

> * Explained later by GK (MSG 6913):
> > ... Some stayed with the Varni, some stayed
> > with the Dani, and there was probably further
> > dispersal. But a very significant "core" did
> > make it next to the Gauts.*****

Hi Troels,

as you well know, there is no evidence that Heruls stayed with the
Varni or with the Dani. Also there is very little evidence that
a 'very significant core' made it next to the Gauti. The latter is
clearly a question of definition and interpretation, though. I think
it is exactly this lack of sources which compells modern historians
to mention this episode -if at all- only in conditional and general
terms, without putting any additional detailed speculation into it,
such as the joining by other tribes, the settling among Varni and
Dani etc.

BTW, Judith Jesch's book on early Scandinavian history is now out.
This edited volume reportedly includes all the latest research on
early Scandinavian history from ca. 500AD. Once it is available in
the British Lib. I will check whether any of the contributors regard
a 'significant' Herulian contribution as a viable theory or not.