[gothic-l] Re: Analogy between fate of Eruli and Burgundians?

Dr. Dirk Faltin <dirk@smra.co.uk> dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Jan 21 08:07:34 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...>
wrote:

> >>  Spare the poor listmembers from the endless thread you indicate
by
> >>  mentioning this book.
> >>

> >I am sure it is a perfectly good book, written by experts in the
> >field. I think it is likely to provide a clearer picture of what
went
> >on in Scandinavia from 500AD than any theories based on Herulic
> >migrations.
> >
> >Dirk
>
> Dirk,
> I don't think she will contribute much to the Heruls in Sweden.
>
> Here are her areas of interest

Tore,

this is an edited volume. Judith Jesch was only one of many
contributors and she functioned as editor. Below is a short summary
of the coverage of this book, but it is clear that if Heruls played
any role in Scandinavia some of the authors will have picked that up.

"Using the evidence of archaeology, poetry, legal texts and annals,
this volume investigates the social, economic and symbolic structures
of early Scandinavia at the time of the Viking expansion. The
contributors provide an outline ethnograpjy, covering dwellings and
settlements, kinship and social relations, law, political structures
and external relations, rural and urban economies, and the ideology
of warfare. The topics are discussed through case-studies from the
contributors' recent research, illustrating the changing scholarly
interpretations of this formative period in Scandinavian history. By
addressing these key research questions, the contributions trace the
background to and the impact of urbanisation and Christianisation,
and the development of royal power, which stimulated the transition
from the Viking age to the medieval period in Scandinavia. This book
brings together for the first time in English a wealth of current
Scandinavian archaeological, historical and cultural research. JUDITH
JESCH is Reader in Viking Studies at the University of Nottingham.
Contributors: LENA HOLMQUIST OLAUSSON, BENTE MAGNUS, E. VESTERGAARD,
BIRGIT ARRHENIUS, STEFAN BRINK, LISE BENDER JORGENSEN, SVEND NIELSEN,
FRANDS HERSCHEND, NIELS LUND, DAVID N. DUMVILLE, JUDITH JESCH, DENNIS
H. GREEN."

400 pages
Size: 23 x 15 cm
ISBN: 0 85115 867 6
Binding: Hardback
Publication date: 02/Aug/2002
Price: 85.00 USD, c.50.00 GBP
Series: Studies in Historical Archaeoethnology