[gothic-l] Germanic and Rumania was Re: Goths and Getae

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 4 13:16:09 UTC 2003

Hi, Dirk,

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> Hi Francisc,
>
> thanks a lot for this very detailed and clear overview. Indeed, I
> don't think this is off topic, since it gives us an idea about the
> nature of Gothic and Gepidic influence in those regions. From your
> presentation, the migrationist view seems somewhat stronger to me.
In
> fact, perhaps a combination of both theories might be closest to
the
> truth. Maybe some small groups of Daco-Romans remained in the area,
> who were later supplemented by Romanic people from south of the
> Danube.

Very interesting, I have the same point of view like you. Probably
this is would be the conclusion of an objective observer.
What is relevant for this Gothic list, the East-Germanic (Gothic &
Gepidic) presence in Dacia is documentary and archeologically well
attested for the 4-6th centuries (including such precious gold hoards
like the Gothic one from Pietroasa and the Gepidic one from
Szilagysomlyo / Simleul Silvaniei). But the linguistic traces are
very scarce (compared for instance with Italy, South France,and
Spain, where there is a significant number of words of Gothic
origin), fact which is variously interpreted in the different
theories.

Francisc

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM