[gothic-l] Germanic and Rumania was Re: Goths and Getae

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Jul 4 14:31:26 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor at y...>
wrote:
> Hi, Dirk,
>
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> > Hi Francisc,
> >
> > thanks a lot for this very detailed and clear overview. Indeed, I
> > don't think this is off topic, since it gives us an idea about
the
> > nature of Gothic and Gepidic influence in those regions. From
your
> > presentation, the migrationist view seems somewhat stronger to
me.
> In
> > fact, perhaps a combination of both theories might be closest to
> the
> > truth. Maybe some small groups of Daco-Romans remained in the
area,
> > who were later supplemented by Romanic people from south of the
> > Danube.
> >

> Very interesting, I have the same point of view like you. Probably
> this is would be the conclusion of an objective observer.
> What is relevant for this Gothic list, the East-Germanic (Gothic &
> Gepidic) presence in Dacia is documentary and archeologically well
> attested for the 4-6th centuries (including such precious gold
hoards
> like the Gothic one from Pietroasa and the Gepidic one from
> Szilagysomlyo / Simleul Silvaniei). But the linguistic traces are
> very scarce (compared for instance with Italy, South France,and
> Spain, where there is a significant number of words of Gothic
> origin), fact which is variously interpreted in the different
> theories.
>
> Francisc

Yet, even in Italy, Southern France and even Spain the linguistic
influence was marginal at best. The Visigothic kingdom in Spain
lasted some 200 years from about 507-711, but admittingly, for most
of the time the Visigoths had likely adopted Latin/Romance. The
Visigothic kingdom in southern Gaul lasted from 418-507, ie. almost
100 years, while the Ostrogothic kingdom in Italy had a life-span of
some 70 years at most. Clearly, in none of the cases did the Goths
afford a language shift. Instead they probably veered towards Latin,
at least in some cases already prior to their settlements. Latin,
after all was the language of the Roman army, and both Visigoths and
Ostrogoths were essentially Roman federate armies. Upon their
settlement, they utilised the existing Roman administration, which
was of course based on Latin. So it is probably not surprising that
the the linguistic input of Gothic in any of these regions is small.

cheers

Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges and get your order fast!
FREE shipping on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. Shop at Myinks.com!
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/v2G7ND/KfUGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM