[gothic-l] Re: Arianism

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Sat Jul 5 07:25:33 UTC 2003

>Tore
>
>I never denied that Gotland and Sweden have a rich early iron age
>history. Yet, about the early iron age history of Gotland and Sweden
>we know practically nothing. The early iron age starts in those areas
>in around 500BC, and no historical sources are available to shed
>light on historical events there at that early time.

Dirk,
We know plenty from the archaeological point of view.

Take the Havor ring for example
http://www.stavgard.com/Gotland/beowulf_/halsring/default.htm

They were very skilled metal workers and there is plenty made in both
gold and silver. The closet from where they could have learned that
is the Goths at the Black Sea.

In Gotland we have about 1500 buildings from Roman Iron Age, the
largest  is 67x11 meters. There are plenty of houses from that time
that surpasses 60 meters.

se also http://www.stavgard.com/Gotland/zentrum_/thule/default.htm
Anmerkung 11.

>About Arianism, I have not seen any evidence for the presence of
>Arianism in 6th century Sweden. Since you read Swedish, I would like
>to ask you to present this evidence.

There were very close trading links with the Goths, also when they
were in Italy. The archaeological finds show that.

>I suppose the first step would be to demonstrate that there were
>Christian grave yards in Sweden in 500AD and the second step would be
>to show that these were Arian Christians. If any grave with
>tentatively Christian lay-out dated to post 550AD it would -following
>Brigit Arrhenius- be better regarded as Catholic, since Scandinavian
>contacts shifted toward the Frankish realm at that point.
>Alternatively, 6th century authors like Procopius, who took a great
>interest in Thule, would surely have reported the presence of
>Christians, even if they were Arians there.

Procopius only had knowledge of the Eruls.

Tore

>Yet, it is clear that he
>regarded them as pagans.
>
>Dirk

Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM