[gothic-l] Re: Arianism

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Jul 7 11:50:17 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...>
wrote:

> >>  >I suppose the first step would be to demonstrate that there
were
> >>  >Christian grave yards in Sweden in 500AD and the second step
would
> >be
> >>  >to show that these were Arian Christians. If any grave with
> >>  >tentatively Christian lay-out dated to post 550AD it would -
> >following
> >>  >Brigit Arrhenius- be better regarded as Catholic, since
> >Scandinavian
> >>  >contacts shifted toward the Frankish realm at that point.
> >>  >Alternatively, 6th century authors like Procopius, who took a
great
> >>  >interest in Thule, would surely have reported the presence of
> >>  >Christians, even if they were Arians there.
> >>

> >>  Procopius only had knowledge of the Eruls.
> >

> >Well, he provides a lengthy description of the people in Thule
> >(Scandinavia), about their habits, names, living areas etc. If any
of
> >them would have been Christians of any form or shape, he would have
> >let his readers know.
> >
> >From your reply, I must conclude that despite reading the
> >Scandinavian sources in original, you have no evidence for Arianism
> >in 500AD in Scandinavia.
> >
> >Dirk
> >

> Dirk,
> I have not promoted the idea of Arianism in Scandinavia. I only
said
> that certain archaeologists have detected traces of it.
>
> This makes it interesting to continue the study of these traces.
>
> Tore

Tore,

can you list some of these 'traces of Arianism' in Scandinavia,
please.

Dirk

> --

Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM