[gothic-l] GUTANI WIHAILAG

Егоров Владимир vegorov at IPIRAN.RU
Thu Jul 3 08:36:30 UTC 2003

To Francisc Czobor

Hi, Francisc!

I dare add a couple of comments to your translations
of the word 'Goth' / 'Gothic' in diverse languages,
specifically regarding Russian.
(Probably you need to apply the Cyrillic coding
 to see some spellings properly.)

>>> Russian: got, pl. goty, adj. goticheski

1. The Russian language has two adjectives for 'Gothic':
a) 'готский' [gotskij] that means general belonging
   or relation to the Goths;
b) 'готический' [gotit?eskij] with the restricted use
   concerning the late medieval (12-15 cc.)
   architecture and type.

2. Old Russian knows the Goths as 'гъты'
(attested in some treaties of Novgorod and Smolensk
 with "the Gothic Shore and Latin Language", 13th c.).
I am at a loss here for a transcription.
Anyhow, the consonant is undoubtedly [t]
while the vowel might be something between [o] and [a]
though a sound like [o] is also probable.

Best regards,

Vladimir

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM