[gothic-l] GUTANI WIHAILAG

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Thu Jul 3 10:05:17 UTC 2003

>To Francisc Czobor
>
>Hi, Francisc!
>
>I dare add a couple of comments to your translations
>of the word 'Goth' / 'Gothic' in diverse languages,
>specifically regarding Russian.
>(Probably you need to apply the Cyrillic coding
>  to see some spellings properly.)

>1. The Russian language has two adjectives for 'Gothic':
>a) '???????' [gotskij] that means general belonging
>    or relation to the Goths;
>b) '??????????' [gotit?eskij] with the restricted use
>    concerning the late medieval (12-15 cc.)
>    architecture and type.
>
>2. Old Russian knows the Goths as '????'
>(attested in some treaties of Novgorod and Smolensk
>  with "the Gothic Shore and Latin Language", 13th c.).
>I am at a loss here for a transcription.
>Anyhow, the consonant is undoubtedly [t]
>while the vowel might be something between [o] and [a]
>though a sound like [o] is also probable.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Vladimir

Hi!
Are you referring to the treaties between Gotland and Novgorod  1189
and between Gotland and Smolensk 1229. Here it is the Gotlandic
coast. "Gutniska kusten".

se http://www.stavgard.com/Gotland/zentrum_/gutagard/default.htm

Tore

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM