[gothic-l] Re: Jutes and Goths

sunnytjatsingh sunnytjatsingh at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 8 14:57:59 UTC 2003

Hi Dirk,

"the fact that you continously quote from books, which are between
100
and 500 years old is really curious. Especially since modern research
is more easily available."

There is nothing really curious about it.  Wolfram (1988) is inclined
to believe Jordanes.  Christensen (2002) is apt to reject Jordanes
mention of Scandinavia and his mentioned of the Eastern Getae.  The
view of these two modern authors seem to be polar.  Why such as
deviation in beliefs?

If Christensen can go to the extent of saying the origins of Goths as
testified in Jordanes's history is fanciful, then I see no problem
examining the works of other classical historians, and even the
writers of the 16th and 17th centuries.

"Yes, 'Oxford 1649' gives you are clou as to the reliability of the
information. Such a dictionary is certainly curious, but not a good
source for up-to-date research."

Why?

"Yes, as the Reallexikon der Germanischen Altertumskunde
under 'Jueten', writes, even ancient Anglo-Saxon and Scandinavian
sources were notorious for their confusion of these names. What would
you expect from books published in the 16th and 17th century? At this
time knowledge about the late antiquity was still close to an all-
time low."

Why?

"If more prove was needed, the last bit of your quote shows that
Shore
knew bonkers about these things. Sorry for my slobby expression, but
linking Kent with Goths and Goths with runes just is too much to
deserve a serious deliberation. The Goths have nothing to do with
Britain whatsoever. To be sure, Shore may have represented the
cutting edge when he wrote in 1906, but you should consult the latest
literature to get a sense of what 100 years of research has come up
with."

Have you read Samuel Kliger's book: Kliger, S. The Goths in England,
Cambridge. Harvard University Press: 1952 ?

"On the Goths, you could look at P. Heather's and H. Wolfram's books.
On the Germanic people in general, you may want to consult M. Todd
and H. Wolfram or A. Lund."

Here are some quote by Heather and Wolfram, as compared to
Christensen:

Peter Heather in his work The Goths, states at in the beginning of
his book, "The Getica is thus the closest we will ever come to Gothic
History as told by Goths (Heather 1996: 13)."

Now Christensen (2002) suggests the exact opposite – who do we
believe?

Wolfram writes, "Does this mean, after all, that the Goths originated
in Scandinavia? Reinhard Wenkus had already given an answer, which
ought to be slightly changed: not entire peoples but small successive
clans, the bearers of prestigious traditions, emigrated and became
founders of new gentes (Wolfram 1988: 39)."

Now Christensen (2002) suggest that an incursion to the mainland from
Scandinavia, as testified by Jordanes is probably not likely, neither
is the origin from Getae.  The author cites Isidore of Seville who
never seems to mention a Scandinavian connection regarding Goths –
who do we believe?

So what light has modern scholarship shone on the origin of Goths?

The reason we are all here is because we are not satisfied about the
origin and progress of the Goths.  I believe in leaving no stone
unturned in this process.

Just the mere fact that classical writers such as Dexippos, Orosios,
Josephus, Cassidorus, Jordanes and Isidore of Seville mention that
the Goths were  "Scythian" or "Getae" leaves me ample room to examine
this aspect.  Best Wishes,

Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM