[gothic-l] Re: Jutes and Goths

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Jul 8 14:26:25 UTC 2003

Hi Sunny,

the fact that you continously quote from books, which are between 100
and 500 years old is really curious. Especially since modern research
is more easily available.

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "sunnytjatsingh"
<sunnytjatsingh at y...> wrote:
> Hi Dirk, I'll look into Todd's book, when I get a chance

> "We should not just throw people together just because their names
> seem to sound somewhat similar. Ancient historical sources don't
link
> these people, so why should we? Note that there lived a people the
> Venedi at the south Baltic coast, in northern Italy and in western
> France. Yet, neither group had anything to do with the other. Name
> similarities are a treacherous path without historical sources to
> guide us."
>
> According to Kliger, one of the first Old English dictionaries
> states, "Under `Geatar' we find the simple definition: "Jutae,
Getae,
> Gothes (Kliger 1952: 15)" (Oxford 1649).

Yes, 'Oxford 1649' gives you are clou as to the reliability of the
information. Such a dictionary is certainly curious, but not a good
source for up-to-date research.

 Not to mention Laurence
> Nowell who equated the Geat, Goths, and Jutes in 1550, De Anglorum
in
> the 1670's, Britannia antiqua in 1676, etc.  Surely, they had some
> reason for this identification?

Yes, as the Reallexikon der Germanischen Altertumskunde
under 'Jueten', writes, even ancient Anglo-Saxon and Scandinavian
sources were notorious for their confusion of these names. What would
you expect from books published in the 16th and 17th century? At this
time knowledge about the late antiquity was still close to an all-
time low.

> Further, Shore writes, "Of these Jutes, the Goths were probably the
> more numerous, seeing that the name adopted from the Kentish people
> generally was a modified form of Gutae, a name for their own race
> (Shore 1906: 191)."  He continues, "That Kent was largely settled
by
> Goths is proved by the evidence of the runic inscriptions which
have
> been found within it (Shore 1906: 185-186)."

If more prove was needed, the last bit of your quote shows that Shore
knew bonkers about these things. Sorry for my slobby expression, but
linking Kent with Goths and Goths with runes just is too much to
deserve a serious deliberation. The Goths have nothing to do with
Britain whatsoever. To be sure, Shore may have represented the
cutting edge when he wrote in 1906, but you should consult the latest
literature to get a sense of what 100 years of research has come up
with.

On the Goths, you could look at P. Heather's and H. Wolfram's books.
On the Germanic people in general, you may want to consult M. Todd
and H. Wolfram or A. Lund.

best regards

Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges and get your order fast!
FREE shipping on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. Shop at Myinks.com!
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/v2G7ND/KfUGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM