[gothic-l] Re: Jutes and Goths

sunnytjatsingh sunnytjatsingh at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 8 13:28:00 UTC 2003

Hi Dirk, I'll look into Todd's book, when I get a chance

"We should not just throw people together just because their names
seem to sound somewhat similar. Ancient historical sources don't link
these people, so why should we? Note that there lived a people the
Venedi at the south Baltic coast, in northern Italy and in western
France. Yet, neither group had anything to do with the other. Name
similarities are a treacherous path without historical sources to
guide us."

According to Kliger, one of the first Old English dictionaries
states, "Under `Geatar' we find the simple definition: "Jutae, Getae,
Gothes (Kliger 1952: 15)" (Oxford 1649).  Not to mention Laurence
Nowell who equated the Geat, Goths, and Jutes in 1550, De Anglorum in
the 1670's, Britannia antiqua in 1676, etc.  Surely, they had some
reason for this identification?

Further, Shore writes, "Of these Jutes, the Goths were probably the
more numerous, seeing that the name adopted from the Kentish people
generally was a modified form of Gutae, a name for their own race
(Shore 1906: 191)."  He continues, "That Kent was largely settled by
Goths is proved by the evidence of the runic inscriptions which have
been found within it (Shore 1906: 185-186)."

Finally, according to Shore, "King Alfred's mother was descended from
the Goths and Jutes, practically identifies them as being of one race
(Shore 1906: 60)."

Kliger, S. The Goths in England, Cambridge. Harvard University Press:
1952.

Shore, T. Origin of the Anglo-Saxon Race.  London. Kennikat Press:
1971, first published in 1906.

Best Wishes,

Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM