[gothic-l] Wielbark Culture

sunnytjatsingh sunnytjatsingh at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 8 16:22:50 UTC 2003

Hi Dirk, I never received any comment regarding this post.  Thoughts?

Christensen:

"My omission of the discussion of the archaeological discoveries in
what is now Poland is intentional. They are normally identified with
the Goths (the Wielbark culture). However, the basis for this
identification is Jordanes's Getica along with the texts
mentioned here, written by Strabo, Pliny, Tacitus, and Ptolemy. If
the
archaeologists did not find the name-related material here, they
would naturally not be able to attach any names of certain peoples to
their finds since, to my knowledge, no inscriptions have been found
that indicate any particular ethnicity. The archaeologists are
therefore unable to prove that the antique texts deal with Goths
(Christensen 2002:40)."

Christensen, A.S. Cassidorus Jordanses and the History of the Goths
Studies in a Migration Myth. Copenhagen. Museum Tusculanum Press:
2002.

Regards,

Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM