[gothic-l] Re: Dirk

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 10 10:11:20 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> Francisc seemed to have made a similar argument earlier, based on
> personal names containing the form 'Gut'. On the other hand the
> form 'Got', seems to be attested was well in Gothic names like
> Ostrogotho.

Based on what we know about Germanic and Gothic phonetics, the
original form should be Gut-.
In Proto-Germanic the Indo-European short [o] became short [a], so
there was no short [o] in Proto-Germanic. Later, this sound appeared
in Germanic languages through the transformation [u] > [o]. This
change occured in Wulfila's Gothic only before r, h, and hw (the
short [o] being spelled by Wulfila "au"), but never before t. But it
is possible that the short Gothic [u] was somehow more open than the
Latin "u", fact which would explain the Latin form "Got(h)i".
Of course, this whole argumentation is valid only if we admit the
Germanic origin of the word "Goth".

Francisc

Buy Naturally Painless & Spray Away Backaches & Joint Pain. $19.97
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2867&lp=m331.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/tJIe0D/79VGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM