[gothic-l] Re: Francisc

Sunny sunnyjat12002 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 10 19:17:35 UTC 2003

Hi Francisc,

"I think that here is a missunderstanding. What I showed is that in
Romance languages, the hard [g] sound becomes palatalized to a sound
similar to Englisg "j" ONLY before palatal vowels (e, i). Thus, a
word like "get" would be pronounced [jet], but "got" and "gut" will
keep the "hard" [g]: [got], [gut]. On the other hand, this kind of
palatalization is not characteristic for Germanic languages. And
never, in any European language, occured the reverse transformation
[j] > [g]. Thus, a derivation Jut > Gut is phonetically impossible."

I agree Get or Gut palatalized into Jet, Jut or Jat, not the other
way around.  Incidently, though off topic, when Timur (Tamerlame)
entered Transoxiana (region of present day Amu and Syr Darya in
Central Asia and former homeland of Massagetae) in 14th Century A.D.,
he encountered a people he described as Jetta or Jatta
(robbers/guerillas).   This may well suggest the name Getae had
palatalized into Jetae.  Arnold Toynbee in his A Study of History
discussed the possible origin of the modern Turkish word "Jatah"
wonders:

 "Is it perhaps derived from the tribal name of the Getae (Massagetae
and Thyssagetae) or Jats, who were the nearest Nomadic neighbors of
the Oxus-Jaxartes oases in the Achaemenian Age, before they erupted
out of the Steppe and poured over the Hindu Kush into the Panjab in
the second century B.C.? (1934 Toynbee: 145(vII))"

Toynbee, A. A Study of History. Vol. 2., London. Oxford University
Press: 1939, First Published in 1934.

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada.
We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark, Canon & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kP..SB/49VGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM