[gothic-l] Re: Jutes and Goths

Ravi Chaudhary ravichaudhary2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 10 21:25:08 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:

> Hi Ravi,
>
> I don't know exactly what you and Sunny are trying to argue, but a
> few things should perhaps be made absolutely clear.

It is not an argument, but an exploration.

 Dirk writes:

Hi Michael,

firstly, it was of course not me who came up with the date 500BC, but
Jacob Grimm some 200 years ago. Since then generations of linguists
confirmed Grimm's reasoning and the dating is not really contested
anymore.

Grimm's original argument was indeed based on the word 'hemp'. Hemp
originated in Asia and was brought to northern Europe by the Scyths
during the life time of Herodot (500-450BC), as he pointed out in his
fourth book of his histories. The north Europeans also borrowed the
name of 'hemp' from the Scytians, who used a name with 'k' and 'b',
analoguous to Latin 'cannabis'. Yet, all Germanic languages have 'h'
and 'p/pf/f', meaning that this loanword was shifted through the
first Germanic sound shift. On the other hand, this first Germanic
sound shift must have been complete by about 250AD when Germanic
tribes like the Bastarnae and Sciri appear at the Black Sea. Hence,
the 'precise' dating of the first Germanic sound shift is 500/450BC
to 250BC. During this period a number of sounds have changed, thus
creating the Germanic language group. Since Germanic is the identity
based on the Germanic idiom, we can speak about Germanic people only
from that time onwards. The above reasoning was confirmed by the
analysis of many other words as well. By the way, Germanic was
subject to a further sound shift in about 600AD, which did not affect
all areas, but which created more languages and dialects.

Cheers
Dirk

************

 This may not be an unimportant clue.

If the information cited is valid, that tribes from " Scytia" came
into what is now Germany( and further) and brought with them hemp and
the usage of that word.

Who were these tribes, clans , from " Scythia". ?

Ravi

Buy 1, Get 1 FREE
Control Cravings & Hunger EZ! Fast Acting Natural Oral Spray - $19.97
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2866&lp=ezappetite3.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rJIe0D/99VGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM