[gothic-l] Re: Jutes and Goths

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 10 09:53:45 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ravi Chaudhary"
<ravichaudhary2000 at y...> wrote:
> Then the movement the other way is also possible, and people could
> have carried the Gut/Jut name across the North and East. with all
the
> variations,  Got, Gott, jut, jutes, gut, gutae, Jutt, which with
> later palatization  as Francisc has pointed out changes to a
softer'
> Goth.'

I think that here is a missunderstanding. What I showed is that in
Romance languages, the hard [g] sound becomes palatalized to a sound
similar to Englisg "j" ONLY before palatal vowels (e, i). Thus, a
word like "get" would be pronounced [jet], but "got" and "gut" will
keep the "hard" [g]: [got], [gut]. On the other hand, this kind of
palatalization is not characteristic for Germanic languages. And
never, in any European language, occured the reverse transformation
[j] > [g]. Thus, a derivation Jut > Gut is phonetically impossible.

Francisc

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada.
We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark, Canon & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kP..SB/49VGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM