[gothic-l] Re: Jutes and Goths

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jul 10 06:34:58 UTC 2003

Hi Ravi,

I don't know exactly what you and Sunny are trying to argue, but a
few things should perhaps be made absolutely clear.

The Goths have nothing, whatsoever to do with any Indian group called
Jat or similar. Unless either of you come up with good recent
historical evidence (not quotes from century old books) I think
nobody here is keen to discuss this outlandish fantasy further.

The Goths are not the decendents of the Thracian Getae. This is
absolutely clear and there is no doubt about this at all. Fransics
has earlier laid out the linguistic argument, but archaeology and
historical evidence can also be used to support this. In fact, no
serious scholar would today argue that the Goths are the same as the
Thracian Getae.

The Goths are a Germanic people, which first appears under the name
Gothi in the area north of the Black Sea in the 3rd century AD.
Archaeology shows that they, or better most of their predessors came
from the area of the Vistula. In fact, the Goths constituted only one
such Germanic migration to the Black Sea. Earlier the Basternae and
the Scirians had moved from roughly the same area to the Black Sea.

The above statements are well established and uncontested in modern
scholarship and in line with all the evidence. I think these should
be the cornerstones of any serious debate on this list.

Cheers

Buy Naturally Painless & Spray Away Backaches & Joint Pain. $19.97
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2867&lp=m331.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/tJIe0D/79VGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM