[gothic-l] Re: MY INTRODUCTION

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 11 07:34:56 UTC 2003

Welcome, Thomas!

Nobody was born all-knowing and you are still very young.
But you are also more lucky than me, for instance: when I begun to be
interested in Gothic, there was no Internet yet, and in my country
(Romania) it was very hard to find a book about the Gothic language.
The Gothic language is very similar to Old English and Old Norse
because all three are old Germanic language, more close to their
common ancestor - the unattested, reconstructed Common Germanic - as
the modern Germanic languages are.
For links to resources on Internet about the Gothic language you
might visit Mat Carver's "The Gothic Language Website"
(http://www.matthewcarver.com/gutrazda/). Unfortunately for those not
speaking German, many good web sites dedicated to the Gothic
languages are in German.
Koebler's comprehensive Gothic dictionary is now also available on-
line, for free
(http://homepage.uibk.ac.at/homepage/c303/c30310/gotwbhin.html). This
web page is in German, but the dictionary itself gives also the
English equivalents of the Gothic words, and there is also an English-
Gothic dictionary
(http://www.koeblergerhard.de/germanistischewoerterbuecher/gotischeswo
erterbuch/NE-GOT.pdf).
I wish you much success in studying the Gothic language and culture!

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "thomas lindblom"
<thomas_lindblom at h...> wrote:
> HAILA
>
> I´m a new member in your group and this is my introduction.
> I am 16 years old and I live in a country far in the north called
Finland,
> my mother-tongue is Swedish though. I began learning Gothic quite
recently
> when I by an accident found David Salo´s lessons in Gothic on the
net. I was
> surprised when I noticed that Gothic is very similar to both Old
English and
> Old Norse. Unfortunately I am not old enough to go to any
university and
> study Gothic so I have to use the Internet to search knowledge and
it´s
> quite difficult sometimes , I found your group when I had finished
David´s

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sOykFB/k9VGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM