[gothic-l] Jats über alles??

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 11 09:57:06 UTC 2003

It seems that some members of the Gothic list (namely Ravi and Sunny)
are trying to persuade us that there must be some connection between
the Indian Jats and the European Goths and/or Getae.
Their efforts recall for me other cases where people (including
scholars) are trying to demonstrate that their own nation is
something more special than others.
I'm Romanian, but ethnically I have also Hungarian and German origins
(BTW, my last name is Hungarian).
I have read Romanians claiming that Romanian was the first language
of civilization, that the Carpathian mountains were the cradle of
civilization and that Latin and even Sanskrit are derived from the
Romanian language.
I have read Hungarians claiming that Hungarian seems to be the oldest
language of humankind and is closely related to Sumerian, but
Hungarian is not possible to be derived from Sumerian, thus the
Sumerians were an ancient Hungarian tribe, and Hungarian roots are to
be found in the cultural words of all languages.
Let's not speak about the horrible Nazi ideology with "Deutschland
über alles" and the superiority of the so-called "Arian" race.
But on the other hand, the Jews, who suffered the most because of
this ideology, are also claiming that they are some "superior" race,
based on the Old Testament where they are described as the "choosen
people" of God.
And the examples could be multiplied. Some decades ago the official
ideology of Turkey claimed that the Turks were at the origin of all
civilization, and even trayed to demonstrate that the Turkish
language descends from Hittite (the Indo-European character of the
latter didn't matter for them).
I'm also member of the AN-Network, a discussion group on Austronesian
(Austronesian is a large linguistic family, comprising Malay,
Malagasy of Madagascar, the languages of Indonesia and of the
Philippines, the languages of the Pacific islands – Melanesia,
Micronesia, and Polynesia, as well as the aboriginal languages of
Taiwan). There are some member of AN-Network, mainly of Philippinese
origin, who are trying to demonstrate that Austronesians are at the
origin of human civilization, claiming for instance that the oldest
known civilization – the Sumerian – was established by some
Austronesian tribes/clans, that the whole Indian culture comes from
Austronesians, trying to demonstrate that the Dravidian languages and
even Sanskrit are related to Austronesian languages, and such similar
things. Even the name of Babylon they try to put in connection with a
Philippinese tribal/geographical name. One of them claimed even that
the non-Austronesian members of AN-Network have a lower
understanding, being not able to understand such things (I was really
upset by this flagrant piece of Austronesian racism!)
Now, the Jats. I have read in the JatHistory list (a Yahoo-group) a
message (no. 93 of Jan 15, 2003, from JD Singhji) claiming that
William the Conqueror was a Jat !! (???). The message sounds like
this:
"Here is another interesting story from English history:
- In 1066 AD, William the Conqueror (a Norman) defeated Saxon
King Harold in the battle of Hasting. It is said the
carnage to terrible but the Normans prevailed. Then
some 25,000 Normans enslaved 2+ million Saxons.
William was ruler of Normandy (present day France).
He was a Norman, The Normans were decendents of
Danes (Denmark). We know Denmark and Norway (e.g. Jutland)
are related to Jat tribes. Their languages to this
day is close to Sanskrit. This makes William a
Jat...and Norman Jats went to rule England.
WOW - this is an incredible piece of history."
In another message (no. 177 of JatHistory) we can read: "In this
grouping we can recognize many Scyth connected names, like  the
Getae, Guti, Yuti and Goths. The gep root may be found in the  clan
Gepidae which invaded Europe along with the Huns."
In a recent message to the Gothic-L (no. 7172 of Jul 11, 2003), Ravi