[gothic-l] Re; Yair

sunnytjatsingh sunnytjatsingh at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 14 15:20:13 UTC 2003

Hello Yair, your post indeed says a great deal:

"The use of this phrase is indeed offensive and superfluous in the
context.
Also the claim that Goths were in India has been made in the past by
respectable historians
and therefore on that basis alone should be worth considering."

I agree – Tod, Toynbee, Trevaskis, Keene, Kephart, etc have all
directly or indirectly connected Jat and Goths.

"it is also agreed that the Goths could be referred to as "Get" or as
"Guti".  The Massagetae east of the Caspian Sea were
regarded by some roman writers as Goths."

I am curious which Roman writers referred to Massagetae as Goths?  Or
are you referring to Jordanes discussion of Queen Tomyris of the
Massagetae and her exploits against the Persians "for the first time
the race of Goths [Getae] says silken tents".

"It has been claimed that the Massagetae are the Yueh-chi of Chinese
records
and that this name was actually pronounced
by the Chinese as Ta-Geti or "Great Geti". Similarly the name
Massagetae
has also been explained to mean "Great Geti"."

Very interesting.  Modern linguists like Pulleyblank, Karlgren,
Torday, Marquart, etc. all reduced the Da Yuezhi into a pnonetic Da
Gweti or Da Gueti.  Heinrich Klaproth many years earlier suggested
that Yuezhi was correctly pronounced "Yuti".

I very much agree with this identification, as in Chinese Da
means "Great", therefore the Da Yuezhi is the Great Yuezhi, if we
accept the aforementioned linguistic translation, this becomes Great
Gueti.   Further Massagetae, according to the 9th Century work De
Universo by Rabanus Maurus, states that, "The Massagetae are in
origin from the tribe of the Scythians, and are called massagetae, as
if heavy, that is strong Getae (Migne 1864: Col 439)."

Rabanus Maurus, De Universo. Edited by Migne, P.L. Vol. CXI, Paris,
1864.

As the name of the tribe is probably Iranian, if we examine any
common Pehlavi lexicon, the root "Mas" means "Great".  Therefore, the
Massa-Getae means "Great Getae" and exactly corresponds to Da or
Great Gueti.  It is no wonder that scholars had a difficult time
dicephering the material differences between Saka (Massagetae) and
Kushan (Da Yuezhi) invaders.

"The Massagetae were in Central Asia and there were incursions from
that
area into India."

Yes this is well attested.

"Scandinavian legends trace their ancestry to the region of "Yadi"
just
north of Central Asia."

I was aware of Scandinavian legends and their suggestion of origin
from Central Asia, but I have never heard about Yadi, could you
elaborate?

"One could say that all this is coincidence and means nothing.
To my mind however it does seem like a possibility that may be worth
considering."