[gothic-l] Re: Cotinos and Gothinos

sunnytjatsingh sunnytjatsingh at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 14 21:46:47 UTC 2003

Hi Valulfr,

"Again, I find it interesting that the web-site you provided,
translated by A.J.Church & W.J.Brodribb, renders "Cotini"
as "Gothinos" (ch.43), and in (ch.44) "trans Lygios Gotones" is
rendered correctly as "Beyond the Lygians dwell the Gothones". I
wonder what would have motivated them to translate to two as
Gothones."

Yes it is peculiar, and ironic that Rackus would make this same
mistake

And I also noted the same translation by Gordon, Thomas on the
Northvegr.org page:

"From the Gallic language spoken by the Gothinians, and from that of
Pannonia by the Osians, it is manifest that neither of these people
are Germans; as it is also from their bearing to pay tribute."

http://www.northvegr.org/lore/tacitus/004.html

Regards,

Buy Natural Vitamins for Good Prostate & Male Health. $28.97
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2865&lp=prosta2.html
http://us.click.yahoo.com/qJIe0D/89VGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM