[gothic-l] Re: America - Almarich

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 15 06:47:51 UTC 2003

Hy, Sunny,

I knew the fact that the name "America", first used in 1507 by the
German cosmographer Martin Waldseemüller (1470-1522) is derived from
the name of the Italian navigator and explorer Amerigo Vespucci
(latinised: Americus Vespucius), who lived between 1454-1512 (and not
in the 12th century, as you state), and that the name Amerigo is of
Germanic (not necessarily Gothic) origin. It is possible that it
ultimately derives from Amalrich (which is obviously a Gothic name,
attested in the 6th century as Amalaricus, cf. Köbler's "Gotisches
Wörterbuch", 1989; in Wulfilan Gothic it woud be *Amala-reiks). But I
knew that Amerigo is in fact a variant of the Italian name Emerico,
wich is also of Germanic origin, but related rather to the German
name "Heinrich".
There is also another hypothesis, that "America" could be derived
from "Amerrique" (probably from a Native American language), the name
of a mountain range in Nicaragua, used by early explorers for the
newly discovered land (cf. Webster's New World College Dictionary,
1994).

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "sunnytjatsingh"
<sunnytjatsingh at y...> wrote:
> Hi Francisc,
>
> "Ghaddafi, trying to demonstrate the superiority of the Arab
culture,
> among other arguments, derived the name "America" from a certain
Arab
> called "Emir Kah"! This is not far from Jat=Get=Goth."
>
> Let's examine a fun-fact suggested by Kephart who claims that the
> Goths were PARTLY responsible for the name of America?
>
> The name Amerigo showed up in Italian around the 12th Century and
was
> introduced by the Goths in the 6th century – Amal.  Hence, the
> etymology
. Amalrich "work ruler" [German] – Amerigo [Italian] –

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM