[gothic-l] Re: Ravi and Sunny

AElfric and Ursula amali at SOFTHOME.NET
Tue Jul 15 18:30:37 UTC 2003

Dirk,

>I never said that Sunny or Ravi have stifled the discussion. I merely
>pointed out that avoiding to provide any evidence, but only quotes
>from outdated books does not make a discussion, instead this method
>makes it a very tideous affair for those asked for information.

Actually, you did say that.  This is exactly what you said:

"Hi Ravi and Sunny,

neither me nor Francisc questioned your intentions. However, the way
I see it, there are various ways to stifle debate on an online
discussion group. One is to post a relentless string of old and
utterly outdated quotes reflecting long outdated views and outlandish
theories and ask or even demand others to comment on them."

>No, long outdated and superceeded quotes from books published in the
>16th and 17th century are no evidence. Evidence are either original
>historical or archeological sources, of which I have provided large
>quantities throughout the existence of this list.

In your opinion and my opinion it is not evidence.  In their opinion, it is.

>You should peruse the archives once in a while to get a better
>perspective on things. I have cited all the standard works which
>would easily have given Sunny the right answers to his comments about
>links between Indian Jats and Goths.

I don't need to peruse the archives, I have followed this list very closely
for many years, and remember what I have seen.  While it is true that in the
past you have often cited many sources, recently, you have had a tendancy to
denounce well cited arguments of others based on your word alone.

>Since, you have not made many valuable contributions to this list as
>long as I can remember, I find it difficult to evaluate your method.
>Maybe I am misjudging this list a little. I thought we were trying to
>stick to some sort of academic levels and standards of courtesy. Yet,
>you are making false wholesale accusations. This is not what a list-
>owner should do I think.

Thank you for making this statement.  It just proves my point when I said
that you method seems to involve devaluing those who do not agree with you.

>These are very unfair accusations. In fact they are unfounded and
>false. I will certainly withdraw from this list and you can continue
>debating Indian Jats and their relationship with the Goths.

No, they are not unfair or unfounded.  Nor was I suggesting that you
withdraw from the list.  All I request is that you be respectful towards the
other list members; something which is expected from all on the list.  Is
that so much to ask that you would sooner leave the list?

>I hope this has nothing to do with the grudge you once bore against
>me when I dared to question the existence of elves or dwarfs or
>something? Just kidding;-)

I did not bear a grudge against you then.  At that time, as now, I am simply
doing my job as moderator, which is to ensure respectful and fair treatment
for all listmemebers, regardless of what they believe, and regardless of
whether I agree with them or not.  That's all.

>but I clearly have a different view on
>things and I do get frustrated with persistent claims against all
>good evidence and knowledge. Nonetheless, if my responses were
>somewhat harsh than only because of the introduction of what I (and
>apparently Francisc) perceived as a 'racial superiority motive'. If
>my harshness was unfounded  or seen as unfair I certainly
>appologise.

I understand your frustration, and commend you for the appology.

Albareiks

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM