[gothic-l] Re: Re; Dirk

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Jul 15 19:59:58 UTC 2003

Hi Sunny,

no need to clarify your own position. I have never directed any
accusation of racism at you or Ravi. HOwever, what I could and cannot
understand is why somebody would use age old and outdated material to
seemingly desparatly create artificial links between ethnic groups
like Goths and Jats, while any mainstream book on Gothic history can
easily prove this wrong. Actually, in line with Ravi I would have had
regarded this as a closed matter and I myself said that we should not
make too much of it until Alberic started to hurl very strong and in
my view false accusations at me. There was absolutely no need to
deteriorate the situation and throw the list in disaray.

If you seek further exchange on matters related to Gothic history, we
can certainly do that at the Germanic-L, and I am looking forward to
it.

Cheers
Dirk

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Sunny" <sunnyjat12002 at y...> wrote:
> Hi Dirk, please do not disengage in our discussion, you have vaste
> amounts of knowledge on this subject and I respect your view on
this
> difficult subject matter.  But please do let me make something very
> clear here.
>
> "As a German I am perhaps more sensitive to such claims of racial
> superiority and others can be more relaxed about that."
>
> First and foremost, I do not believe the Jats are better or worse
> than others – we are all humans.  Second, I do not believe that
> examining a possible link between the Jats and the Getae and the
> Getae and Goths constitutes any idea of racial superiority,
> especially since this theory is and was proposed almost solely by
non-
> Jat European scholars, and never really swallowed by the Jats
> themselves.  Thirdly it does not stop with Germany and Northwest
> India, there may be some more obscure tribes in Western China,
North