[gothic-l] Re: Re; Dirk

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Fri Jul 11 04:17:00 UTC 2003

>  > Hi Dirk,
>>
>>  Thanks, so when does Wolfram's new work come out?
>

>I am not aware that he is planning any new book on Gothic history. I
>was speaking in general terms. Hence, when Wolfram did his seminial
>work on the Goths in the 1980s a detailed analysis of the Getica to
>the extend that Christensen has done it was not available. Since,
>Christensen's study, such an analysis is available and it might
>influence future work on Gothic history, including any hypothetical
>book by Wolfram. I just wanted to underscore that this is not a
>matter of whome to believe, as you presented it. Instead, it is a
>process, with each author  fitting in a piece of the jig-saw puzzle
>and making an interpretation of how the final picture will look like.
>In my view, Wolfram and Christensen are working at the same picture.
>
>cheers
>Dirk

An important document is the paper Wolfram presented at the Symposium
in Lidköping 1992.

Ursprung och religion -  Etniska traditioner och litteratur från
tidig europeisk medeltid
Av Universitetsprofessor Herwig Wolfram, Wien

http://www.stavgard.com/Gotland/romaniron_/etniska/default.htm

English summary on page 24. The original paper is probably in German.

"When they met with the Odin cult, the Amals changed the genealogy
from the god Gaut to the god Odin-Gaut, which means that the Goths
now had a new ethnogenesis. "

"Research is a necessity, but interpretations must be made with care
and not be used for propaganda. It is wrong to accept any statement
without a critical mind, but it is equally wrong to accept nothing,
in spite of scientific evidence or reasonable hypotheses. A myth may
well contain a historical truth, the problem is to detect it."

"It is, of course, true that even a small group can keep its
traditions alive in a new country. It is therefore not unreasonable
to claim a Scandinavian origin, but there are other, more credible,
even unintended indications about Scandinavian origins. "

"Wolfram argues that the concept, that all barbarian history is
nothing but litterature, is wrong. He feels that there is always a
core of historical tradition hidden somewhere. He specially mentions
Walter Goffart's "Narrators of Barbarian History" in which these
simplifications are made."

Tore

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada.
We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark, Canon & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kP..SB/49VGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM