[gothic-l] Jordanes

Sunny sunnyjat12002 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 15 21:02:28 UTC 2003

Hi All, at the request of Dirk, I have decided to go to the primary
classical sources regarding Goths, I am led to none other than Goth
Jordanes and his Getica (550 AD), as his book is the "closest we will
ever come to Gothic History as told by Goths (Heather 1996: 13)."

Heather, P. The Goths, Oxford. Blackwell Publishers: 1996.

Below you will find a few excerpts:

"31) This land, I say,--namely, Scythia, stretching far and spreading
wide,--has on the east the Seres, a race that dwelt at the very
beginning of their history on the shore of the Caspian Sea. On the
west are the Germans and the river Vistula; on the arctic side,
namely the north, it is surrounded by Ocean; on the south by Persis,
Albania, Hiberia, Pontus and the farthest channel of the Ister, which
is called the Danube all the way from mouth to source."

Here when discussing the limits of Scythia Jordanes discusses the
Germans as if they are a separate entity appearing in the west
of "Scythia".

"(41) Now Mars has always been worshipped by the Goths with cruel
rites, and captives were slain as his victims. They thought that he
who is the lord of war ought to be appeased by the shedding of human
blood. To him they devoted the first share of the spoil, and in his
honor arms stripped from the foe were suspended from trees. And they
had more than all other races a deep spirit of religion, since the
worship of this god seemed to be really bestowed upon their ancestor."

Comparative Mythology:

Roman Mars seems to corresp0nd with Greek Areos, who may have been
borrowed by Scythian Ares – God of War.  We read from Herodotus that
the Scythians made images, altars and sacrifices for Ares and no
other god.

So can the Scythian Ares, the Greek Areos, the Roman Mars, the German
Tyr, and the Eddic Tuiw come from the same source – all god's of war?
Otherwise is it mere coincidence that Tuesday or Tuiwsday is the same
as Dies Martis in Latin and Mangalwar (day of Mars) in Hindi?

Further can Wednesday, which seems to be named after Woden or Odin,
correspond to Mercury and also to Indian God Budha (not Gautama
Buddha, but Budha, the God of Wisdom) – they all referred to as the
God of Wisdom.  It goes without saying that Dies Mercurii is
Wednesday in Latin, and in Hindi Wednesday is Budhwar or day of Budha
(wisdom).  No wonder Tod writes, "The Scythians worshiped Mercury
(Budha), Woden or Odin, and believed them to be his progeny (Tod
1829: 72)."

Tod, J. Annals and Antiquities of Rajasthan. Vol. 1. Delhi. Motilal
Banarsidass: 1971, First Published in 1829.

Monday – day of the Moon, Latin – dies Lunae, Indian Chandrawar or
Somwar (Moon day).

Sunday of course matches again with Latin Dies Solis, Indian
Surajwar, Raviwar or Aditwar (Sun-Day).  Perhaps, Balder is
equivalent to Greek Helios, Roman Apollo, and Scythian Oitosyros?
Perhaps maybe even Slavonic Zorya?   In any event, John Rosenfield
writes about the Indian Surya, the sun-god, "One indication of the
importance of foreign, especially Indo-Scythian, influence on the
solar cult is the very fact that some early images of Surya are so
similar to Kushan royal portraits that it is possible to confuse one
with the other (Rosenfield 1967: 190)."

Rosenfield, J. M. The Dynastic Art of the Kushans. Berkeley.
University of California Press: 1967.

"(44) Then, as the story goes, Vesosis waged a war disastrous to
himself against the Scythians, whom ancient tradition asserts to have
been the husbands of the Amazons. Concerning these female warriors
Orosius speaks in convincing language. Thus we can clearly prove that
Vesosis then fought with the Goths, since we know surely that he
waged war with the husbands of the Amazons."

Amazon or warrior women legends were first suggested by Herodotus and
have always been confined with the Scythians.  Clearly Jordanes here
is suggesting that the Goths were the husbands of the Amazon or
Scythians.

"58) But say not "Why does a story which deals with the men of the
Goths have so much to say of their women?" Hear, then, the tale of
the famous and glorious valor of the men. Now Dio, the historian and
diligent investigator of ancient times, who gave to his work the
title "Getica" (and the Getae we have proved in a previous passage to
be Goths, on the testimony of Orosius Paulus)--this Dio, I say, makes
mention of a later king of theirs named Telefus. Let no one say that
this name is quite foreign to the Gothic tongue, and let no one who
is ignorant cavil at the fact that the tribes of men make use of many
names, even as the Romans borrow from the Macedonians, the Greeks
from the Romans, the Sarmatians from the Germans, and the Goths
frequently from the Huns."

Here Jordanes says the Goths are the Getae on the testimony of
Orosius Paulus.  Further he says that names are often borrowed which
I am sure Dirk and Francisc will comment upon.  Do also note here
that the Germans and the Goths are referred distinctly here and not
as one entity.

"(61) Then Cyrus, king of the Persians, after a long interval of
almost exactly six hundred and thirty years (as Pompeius Trogus
relates), waged an unsuccessful war against Tomyris, Queen of the
Getae. Elated by his victories in Asia, he strove to conquer the
Getae, whose queen, as I have said, was Tomyris. Though she could
have stopped the approach of Cyrus at the river Araxes, yet she
permitted him to cross, preferring to overcome him in battle rather
than to thwart him by advantage of position. And so she did. (62) As
Cyrus approached, fortune at first so favored the Parthians that they
slew the son of Tomyris and most of the army. But when the battle was
renewed, the Getae and their queen defeated, conquered and
overwhelmed the Parthians and took rich plunder from them. There for
the first time the race of the Goths saw silken tents. After
achieving this victory and winning so much booty from her enemies,
Queen Tomyris crossed over into that part of Moesia which is now
called Lesser Scythia--a name borrowed from great Scythia,--and built
on the Moesian shore of Pontus the city of Tomi, named after herself."

Here Jordanes is discussing the exploits of the Massa-Getae – a very
important point to note.  He is not discussing the Getae (Thracian) –
Iranian Massagetan Queen Tomyris battled against Cyrus the Great of
Persia in 529 B.C.  A further note, he calls the Persian, Parthians
in this context because he believes the Persians to also be of
Scythian origin.

"82) But let us now return to the point whence we made our digression
and tell how the stock of this people of whom I speak reached the end
of its course. Now Ablabius the historian relates that in Scythia,
where we have said that they were dwelling above an arm of the Pontic
Sea, part of them who held the eastern region and whose king was
Ostrogotha, were called Ostrogoths, that is, eastern Goths, either
from his name or from the place. But the rest were called Visigoths,
that is, the Goths of the western country."

Here Jordanes discusses the names Ostro-goth and Visi-goths, meaning
the eastern and western Goths, respectively.  These compound names
seem to be analogous to the names of Massa-Getae, Thyssa-Getae,
Thyrsa-Getae, Tyri-Getae, Euer-Getae, and "frozen" Getae, with Getae
being the principal denomination.

"(83) As already said, they crossed the Danube and dwelt a little
while in Moesia and Thrace. From the remnant of these came Maximinus,
the Emperor succeeding Alexander the son of Mama. For Symmachus
relates it thus in the fifth book of his history, saying that upon
the death of Caesar Alexander, Maximinus was made Emperor by the
army; a man born in Thrace of most humble parentage, his father being
a Goth named Micca, and his mother a woman of the Alani called Ababa."

Emperor Maximinus had a Gothic Father and an Alan Mother.  This
suggests that Goths and Alans were perhaps closely allied, a bit
strange for a sedentary and the nomadic population?

"90) And what more? Ostrogotha and his men soon crossed the Danube
and ravaged Moesia and Thrace. Philip sent the senator Decius against
him. And since he could do nothing against the Getae, he released his
own soldiers from military service and sent them back to private
life, as though it had been by their neglect that the Goths had
crossed the Danube. When, as he supposed, he had thus taken vengeance
on his soldiers, he returned to Philip. But when the soldiers found
themselves expelled from the army after so many hardships, in their
anger they had recourse to the protection of Ostrogotha, king of the
Goths."

Here is just an example of Jordanes using Getae and Goth
interchangeably – this is seen frequently, as if in his mind he is
speaking of the same entity.  No wonder why he named his book Getica
instead of Gothica?

Source: Mierow at http://www.northvegr.org/lore/jgoth/index.html

Best Wishes,

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510