[gothic-l] gothica parisina

Giuseppe Pagliarulo g.pagliarulo at TIN.IT
Tue Jul 15 21:30:34 UTC 2003

Hails!

Last month I had the opportunity to join the annual congress of the
Associazione Italiana di Filologia Germanica (Italian Society for
Germanic Philology). The Italian scholar Alessandro Zironi presented a
very interesting study of his about the Gothica Parisina.
Dr. Zironi has had a chance to take a look at the manuscript of this
text (I mean the real thing, not a microfilm) and noticed that the
name _Zauraubabelis_ bears a horizontal stroke on each <u>.
He points out that the two strokes and the letters' bottom are in a
sensibly darker ink than that of the "heads" of the u's, which
suggests that the scribe (mistakenly) amended the word to
_Zaoraobabelis_.
Based on this, and considering a number of Visigothic loanwords into
Provencal (e. g. _dauf_ "fool"), Zironi argues that the Gothic
diphthong /au/ was monophthongized to /O:/ in Ostrogothic, while in
Visigothic it became /ao/.

Izwar,

Iosef Strawarila

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510